Governance voting incentives

Summary
Incentivize voting on core proposals by granting Sushi tokens to every voter.

Abstract
Sushiswap is a community-owned and community-managed project. Every voice matters, but the current voting system doesn’t incentivize small Sushi token holders, who can feel insignificant in comparison to the Sushipowah big guns.

As a result, Sushiswap core proposals are voted on by a very limited number of community members (around 50). We’ve gotta pump those numbers up!

But how?

We could start by offering a fixed amount of Sushi tokens (the same for every voter, regardless of their Sushipowah) for every vote. This would be a powerful incentive to get community members to cast their votes and get involved in governance as a whole.

We could set a min. amount of Sushipowah to be eligible for voting rewards as a way to avoid leechers staking a single token just to claim the rewards. (threshold TBD)

The sushi voting reward would be claimed directly by users, and its amount high enough to offset gas prices (amount TBD)

Let’s discuss !

Should we implement voting incentives for core proposals?
  • YES
  • NO

0 voters

2 Likes

Although I am all for finding ways to get smaller token holders involved, I don’t know if this is the right approach.

However, I do think there are ways we can get holders more involved.

One thing off the top of my head is perhaps we could integrate voting on the weekly menu directly into the web app, and each token holder only counts as 1 vote regardless of position size.

4 Likes

I think having a 1 vote per user policy for the weekly sushi menu would be a beneficial change; however formalizing it in smart contract sounds prone to abuse, similar to how pedrowww’s proposal sounds prone to abuse. Something i’ve been thinking about is trying to make use of the sushiswap forum user trust levels in order to limit votes to community members. Additionally, in reference to Pedrowww’s proposal, an implementation of this which would be abuse-proof would simply be to require some sort of screenshot proof of voting coupled with your sushiswap forum trust level requirement. this system is clearly not scalable after a certain point, however if we could even just 2-4x the number of active voters by running a limited time community reward initiative that would be positive. Just some of my thoughts

1 Like

I think this is a good idea to incentivize people to vote. If we do incentivize individuals with sushi for voting, where would the sushi come from (some community fund)?